Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Thursday Nights with Paul - December 6

Yes, I missed a few weeks. A couple with good reason and one with no good reason, so here's a recap:

November 15 - I missed this game night due to a family emergency.

November 22 - Thanksgiving - we were closed.

November 29 - I spent most of this night doing computer repair at the store. I did, however get to try out one new game:
  • Race for the Galaxy (Rio Grande Games) - I very much enjoyed this game. At first, it reminds you a bit of San Juan where jobs (in this case Phases) are chosen each round by the players and play proceeds according to only those phases that were chosen. However, having now played it 3 times, I can say that the build-as-fast-as-you-can strategy that is so often successful in San Juan does not work here. Instead, this game makes each building choice useful and interesting. Of course, it is Settling, Conquering or Developing in this game rather than building. All said, I really enjoy it and look forward to playing it again. 5 pips.

December 6 - Back in action, though I did only get to play two games. Here are the games that were seen on the tables.

  • Race for the Galaxy (Rio Grande Games)
  • Power Grid (Rio Grande Games) - I really enjoy this game. It's probably the only game that I *should* own, but don't. I actually wound up victorious in this 4-player game, which I think is my first time actually winning it.
  • Crazy Race (Spiele aus Tibuktu)
  • Sisimizi (Editrice Giochi)
  • Robo Rally (Wizards of the Coast)
  • Jockey (Ravensburger)
  • Aliens (Leading Edge Games)
  • Hannibal (unsure of publisher)
  • Oltre Mare (Rio Grande Games)
  • Buy Low, Sell High (Uberplay)
  • Ubongo (University Games)
  • Kung Fu Fighting (Slugfest Games)