Friday, October 12, 2007

Thursday Nights with Paul - October 11

Yet another fun Thursday night. I actually made note of the games I saw played last night to represent the breadth a little better. Here is said list of games that hit the tables:

  • 1960: The Making of a President (Z-Man Games) - One of our customers purchased this new to our shelf game last night. I sat through learning the rules and then observed a bit of play. It's 2-player specific and basically a game of running an election campaign for the Nixon/Kennedy battle o' 1960. Decent looking components and overall game play seemed interesting. I'm interested in giving it a try. No rating since I didn't have an opportunity to actually play it.
  • Ubongo (University Games) - Played and enjoyed as always. Light and fairly quick. The jewel collection mechanic is secondary in this game. In my plays, it is typical to not really care who won at the end. It's who can complete the puzzles quickest each round that seems to be the most interesting challenge. Would play if asked and will suggest as filler. 3 pips
  • Hoity Toity (Uberplay) - I played Hoity Toity for the first time in a few years (making this my 2nd play) in a 4-player setting (it can accommodate up to 6). It was lighter than I remember and the 4-player game didn't go as smoothly as it seems the game could. It had the feel that more players would have improved the action that took place every turn. I cannot recall the number that I played with last, but I seem to remember enjoying the game a bit more than I did this time around, so I think it was the full contingent of 6. All told, the game wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. I'd probably play again if asked, but would be unlikely to suggest without a full 6-player crew. 4 pips
  • Shogun (Queen Games)
  • Duel in the Dark (Z-Man Games) - I want to give this game a few more plays. I didn't play last night, but have in the past. 2-player specific WWII bombing raid simulation. England bombing Germany.
  • Doom (Fantasy Flight Games)
  • 18AL (John Galt)
  • Hick Hack in Gackelwack (Rio Grande Games) - Used Hick Hack as a 5-player filler game - an appropriate role for it. Had a good time as always. 4 pips
  • Taluva (Rio Grande Games) - I tried this game for the first time. I'm not a big fan of Java, so I was a bit hesitant based solely on box pictures as they seemed to have an eerie resemblance. However, it turned out to be a relatively quick and enjoyable game. We played with 3 players, but it can accommodate up to 4. The basic concept is that you are laying connecting land tiles and building settlements. The goal is to deplete 2 of the 3 building types that you have (huts, temples & towers if I remember correctly). I liked the game and would both play again if asked as well as suggest it. 4 pips
  • Andromeda (Rio Grande Games)
  • Ricochet Robots (Rio Grande Games)